Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Citizen Kane

I went into this movie thinking....no, knowing that I would hate it. I didn't think I would be able to even appreciate it, let alone be entertained by it. However, to my surprise, I actually really enjoyed Citizen Kane.

The best word I can think of to describe Citizen Kane is fun. I genuinely enjoyed watching it. The choppiness of the film made it exciting and fascinating. I really appreciated the fact that Welles had no concept of the typical Hollywood film because it made for a very new and thrilling experience. I loved the opening "news flash" (or whatever it was) about Kane's life. It totally threw me off and left me guessing how the rest of the film was going to flow.

My favorite part of the film was definitely the architecture. I've always had some weird obsession with large and elaborate buildings/palaces, and the influx of this in the film really caught my attention from the onset. Xanadu made my eyes happy, to say the least!

Welles did a magnificent job as Kane. His development as a character was especially intriguing to watch. The way he portrayed Kane was so precise that it makes it seem though he didn't trust anyone other than himself to take on the role.

And then there's rosebud. I really didn't think that we were going to find out what rosebud meant, so towards the end of the film I was itching to come home and google the possible meanings!! I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it was the sled (which was very clever!) but at the same time I was kind of hoping for a little bit of mystery to hold on to.

Overall, I really did enjoy Citizen Kane. I kind of still can't believe it because I was so set on hating it! I guess I must have a good taste in movies after all :)

No comments: