Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Geez, Louise.

Okay, so I admit it. I really only watched Thelma and Lousie because I knew a (half-naked) Brad Pitt was in it. And for the extra credit points, of course!

But I've got to say, I liked the film a lot more than I anticipated. I always thought it was a chick flick for middle-aged...chicks, but I never realized the political/ideological aspects of it. I found myself really rooting for the two women, especially because they were so royally screwed over by men throughout the film. I mean, even the polite, young Brad Pitt who finally showed Thelma a good time and seemed like he could do no harm turned around and stole their money...then turned them in to the cops. Ugh!

The rape scene was obviously the most difficult part to watch. I caught myself gasping and almost covering my eyes. I don't even have to explain why. I'm sure most women would say that they don't blame Louise for shooting that bastard. I personally would've shot him in the leg or something, but that's just me. I also would've turned myself in right after the shooting occured, but that's only because I have the optomism (or, naivity) to think that the authorities would believe me in saying that he attempted rape. When Louise pointed out that no one would believe them (since Thelma was dancing with him all night, no physical evidence) my heart dropped because I knew she was right. What a horrible, frightening thought.

While I can't condone the decisions the women made after that, I can't at all say that I blame them. It's like, once you've killed a man, why give a crap about anything else? Especially if no one...including your own husband...gives a crap about you. In that sense, I feel like the film itself is like a metaphor for the feminist movement. There's comes a point where we can't just sit around and hope that society will begin treating us as equals. It's no wonder that some forms of feminism have become so radical - it's because of losers like Darryl and Harlan...because YES, those men actually do exist.

I think that the ending was very fitting. Thelma and Louise knew that they had to end things on their own terms. They were never going to get a chance to explain themselves anyway, so why give themselves over to dozens of male police officers? Clearly their actions spoke way louder than any words could have - words that they probably wouldn't have even gotten to say.

No comments: