Wednesday, October 8, 2008

'Do the Right Thing'

I haven't heard much about this film, so I didn't know what to expect going into it. I wasn't sure if it was a comedy, a drama, or what....and in fact, I still don't really know what genre it would categorized in. When it first started, I got a 'Fresh Prince of Bel-Air' feel (who knew Rosie Perez could dance like that?!), but it turned out to be much, much more.

The colors of the film were probably what stuck out to me the most. Everyone was dressed so colorfully - even the most violent of people. These bright colors were misleading of the neighborhood as a whole, which was obviously quite corrupt.

I do remember thinking a few times, "what's the plot?" But all of those questions were answered towards the final scenes of the film. I can honestly say I wasn't expecting the fight/riots that took place. But then thinking back, I'm not entirely surprised that it happened.

How the film ends is very disheartening because it shows that everything in the neighborhood goes back to the way it was, which makes me think that another riot is going to happen sooner or later.

While Do The Right Thing wasn't particularly the most enteraining film I've ever seen, I'm definitely glad I saw it. The social implications of the film are still extremely relevant today, and Spike Lee was very successful at conveying that message.

1 comment:

Kevin M said...

How do you mean "corrupt"?