Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Godfather

The Godfather has got to be one of the most popular films in American history. Heck, even my mom said it was one of her favorite movies. I really appreciate a film that can gain critical acclaim yet still be entertaining and popular the general population at the same time. The Godfather is proof that a movie doesn't have to be boring or difficult to follow in order to be considered a great film.

Because we're beginning to study mis-en-scene I made it a point to pay attention to that at least a little bit. What I picked up on the most was the everyday happenings that would go on all around the Corleone family - Connie's wedding, New York City during Christmas, the stop in Chinatown (which very obviously turned violent) - it really made me feel like the Corleone's were just another family with their own little business. In fact, I am almost jealous of the bond and love that is present within the family. It was sometimes hard to remember that Don Vito was actually responsible for the murder of so many people because he just seemed like a nice old man at so many points in the film. Basically the mis-en-scene is what made the film seem so realistic because the Corleone's didn't come off as some evil family lurking in New York City - the seemed like a normal, loving family.

I feel like I've accomplished an important task in life by finally watching The Godfather. And I've also fallen in love with Al Pacino circa 1972!

No comments: