Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Blade Runner

Loved it! Blade Runner is one of those films I probably wouldn't have seen if it weren't for film class, and I'm so glad that I did. At first I was thinking, how can a science fiction film possibly have a film noir style? But it definitely did. The music, lighting, cigarettes and alcohol - they all pointed to film noir. In fact, I picked up on the style at the very beginning of the film when Deckard was interrogating one of the replicants because interrogations are definitely a charactersitic of film noir.

If it weren't for the film noir style, Blade Runner would probably just be another forgettable science fiction film. Clearly that is something that Ridley Scott tries to avoid (Alien is one of my favorite films...and it is far from forgettable!). The concept of combining science fiction with film noir is so bizarre - I still can't quite figure out how it worked - but it did! Scott definitely took a risk with Blade Runner, and I'm glad he did.

As much as I loved a younger Harrison Ford (was he really 40?!), I'd have to say that my favorite character was Pris, played by Daryl Hannah. She was so creepy yet cute at the same time. The same goes for Roy...why do the bad guys always have to be so darn handsome? He really creeped me out towards the end with the howling and what not. I was pleasantly surpised when he saved Deckard's life. It made me a feel a little less guilty for rooting for him during the fight scene, haha!

Overall, Blade Runner was not only entertaining, but also a great example of an off-beat film noir.

No comments: