Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Double Indemnity

Double Indemnity was definitely a great film to kick-off our study of 'film-noir.' I loved it!! After watching both Casablanca and Double Indemnity I can safely say that I absolutely love classic Hollywood films. In fact, I feel like I've been missing out because I always assumed that they'd be well, boring. But it turns out that I love the simplicity and glamour that classic Hollywood films present....especially the typical love story between the "man's man" and the beautiful, classy woman. Gets me every time...

Anyway, Double Indemnity was just...delightful! The mixture of suspense, drama, and comedy kept me engaged the entire time, which isn't an easy task. I especially loved Fred MacMurray's role of Walter Neff. You could almost tell that he was purposely exaggerating every "baby" and kiss with Phyllis, and I appreciated his sense of humor. I was not as enthused by Barbara Stanwyck's portrayal of Phyllis - until the twist came at the end. I totally understood that casting decision at that point in the film! Because it was like (hate to say this but)...I always thought she was kind of ugly and she just covered it up well, but then her ugliness just showed through completley when I realized what a tramp she was! And speaking of the twist, I certainly was not expecting it, but I was thrilled by it. It took the film to a whole different level...perhaps a 'film-noir' level? I can't say I've read the Keith Grant handout yet, so I'll get back to that question...

So far I can definitely say that I think 'film-noir' is more of a style than a genre - especially since Double Indemnity could be considered part of a few different genres. So far, I would say that 'film-noir' generally adopts a very shadowy and mellow dramatic feel - both of which I really enjoyed.

No comments: