Thursday, October 22, 2009

Girls Kick Ass

I could fill an entire page listing female media figures that represent the modern concept of girl power. We've already talked about most of them; Gwen Stefani, Courtney Love, Buffy, Lara Croft...and then of course there's the Spice Girls. I remember holding up a peace sign and repeating "girl power" when I was about 12. I don't even think I knew exactly what that meant, but if Posh Spice did it then it must be cool.

In a way, it's unfortunate to see that feminity has indeed become a product of sorts. Or, it has at least become new form of marketing to young audiences. T-shirts with messages like "girls kick ass" and "girls rule boys drool" are not meant to be political or ideological statements - they are merely a new trend. I personally do not think that that's even arguable because to promote and sell clothes like that in stores where young girls shop (i.e. Justice, which is for girls under the age of 12)...well, clearly we're not aiming to make 8 year old feminists.

And then there are figures like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Lara Croft. They are not just female heroes - they are sexified even moreso than most female images on TV and film. Why is that? Is it because we have such a hard time accepting that the female can be the hero that we have to make her as visually appealing as possible?

Now, clearly I have a pretty cynical view of how feminism has been portrayed in the media. BUT - I've got to say, I think it's better than nothing. First of all, I'd rather have young girls being sent some form of message saying that they are strong and empowered than not. And since Buffy and Lara Croft became popular, female heroes are popping up everywhere. Maybe they are still sexified, and who knows if that will every really go away. But I think that the presence of "girl power" within our culture is a step in the right direction, and it seems as though most actors and music artists seem to agree.

No comments: