Sunday, October 4, 2009

a quick take on "The Monstrous Regiment of Women"

I was able to watch The Monstrous Regiment.. this weekend, and it was not exactly what I expected. After sitting through the class' discussion on Thursday, I thought I was going to cry myself to sleep after watching it. But that wasn't the case...at all. I've got to be honest in saying that it didn't really affect me that much. I would agree with what Kim said in class - that it was difficult to feel emotion because these women and their beliefs are so distant from my own. It was easy for me to dismiss what they were saying because I know that they are mislead and misinterpreting what Scripture really says.

With that being said, I did feel at least some emotion. I didn't feel as much anger as I had expected, though. The main anger I felt was because of the fact that these women used the Bible to support their skewed beliefs. How dare you tell me that I'm not a godly woman because I want to have a family AND a career? That bothered me.

But more than anger, I felt sad for these women. They made it seem that they were happy with their lives, but how can you be happy with such a lack of freedom? I'm not saying that being a stay-at-home mom is any less important or fulfilling than having a career. In fact, I'm sure there will be a portion of my life where that's what I am, and I think that every woman should have the choice to do that. BUT women should have the choice to do *whatever* they want, even if that includes just being a housewife. I cannot imagine being told and truly believing that I have no other purpose in life than to be a wife and mother. I do believe that that is part of my purpose, but not even close to being all of it. I think it was Elise that mentioned in class how her heart goes out to these women, and I would say that that's what I felt towards them moreso than anger or disdain.

I was talking to my mom about the film (she wasn't able to watch it with me) and she pointed out that the Proverbs 31 woman was no Betty Homemaker. I quickly opened the Bible to read it, and I was so excited to see that this woman was a strong, wise, and busy woman. In addition to taking care of her family, she made and sold clothes (verse 24), and she also bought a piece of land (verse 16). But wait, isn't business and buying real estate only part of a "man's world?" I think not!!

No comments: